Thursday, July 3, 2014

La la la - Connections



     Traveling outside of the US for the first time, my senses were immediately overwhelmed with the fast-paced daily life of India. Likewise, I found it challenging to adjust to cultural values, expectations, routines, and the uniquely diverse accents of the local natives. Arriving in Mumbai, while planning to depart to two additional cities within just a few days became very stressful for me as I worried about my own confidence in preparation for my entire trip. Although I was very anxious to engage in the active learning process of this global immersion program, I felt that my days became very chaotic with the direct contact I experienced. When visiting agencies in Mumbai and Jawhar prior, I found people to be kind, but also quite exclusive to their own social groups. Essentially, I felt challenged with finding ways to engage without feeling intrusive.
     With everything being so new, it wasn't until reaching Pune where I discovered one of the most meaningful and distinct experiences of my trip thus far. This particular experience that I am referring to is the cultural celebration of classical music, which was organized by the BAIF agency. Following a brief introductions of the musicians, I found myself intrigued by the sounds and rhythms of the traditional Indian instruments. New and exotic, I was able to experience the classical Hindustani music through the tabla, the sitar, the ghatam, and a variety of other traditional percussion instruments. For the first time during my immersion in India, I allowed myself to shift from feeling slightly disconnected as a foreigner to being at peace with myself and the country.
     Through the sounds of the various instruments, my curiosity to learn more about the culture and it's influence grew tremendously, as the musicians seemed to become one with their instruments and themselves. In a sense, I believe that the music allowed each musician to be more in tune with their own cultural identities in India. As part of the event, the artists were able to showcase their talent and skills through collaborative and individual pieces through the classical folk tunes.
     Although each of the musicians were able to showcase their own prospective instruments to the audience, my favorite part of the event would have to be the moments in which all artists played music together. Throughout the entire performance, I was able to recognize and appreciate the cultural significance of collectivity and collaboration. In my opinion, I saw the three musicians express a strong sense of cohesion as well as interdependence as artists. Furthermore, I began to grasp the beauty in making joint efforts to create something beautiful to be shared. As a student who is drawn to macro practice, I have come to learn the implications of working among others to reach a common goal.
     Coming to India with my own musical background in violin and viola, I naturally had a connection to the music as a special form of expression. As a student of European classical music, I initially began dissecting the elements of the performance by the artists. In addition to listening to the sounds, I intentionally looked for differences in body posture, facial expression, ways of harmonizing and accompanying each other with various music styles, choices of tempo as well as choices in technique. Through the musicians' choice of selected pieces, I believe that a deeper message was presented to the audience. To me, this message was conveyed through themes such as history and cultural identity. In a sense, I found myself feeling connected to the art form of expression through musical instruments, while also learning more about the impact this particular Indian music has had on the performers. Additionally, I have begun to acknowledge the areas in which traditional Indian classical music has been influenced by other cultures and areas in which it has been a source of influence.
     I feel that this particular moment that I experienced was very significant to me for a number of reasons. I personally believe it allowed me to become more aware of some of the population in which I am immersing myself into. Additionally, I feel that although I was initially feeling disconnected at the beginning of my trip, I was able to develop a connection to a special part of the Indian culture while strengthening my cultural competence. I was also able to apply what I learned from my observations of cohesion within the traditional music to many of the interactions I have experienced with the local natives.

No comments:

Post a Comment