Friday, July 4, 2014

A Light to Domestic Violence

Domestic violence, a reality that was put to light by many women here in India, especially the women from LEARN (Labour Education And Research Network). As they shared their painful experience, I could not help but cringe and swallow my own memories. Yet, I was so interested in how they have been able to defend themselves and fight against it. I could not help but to remember my own experience growing up in a household where the tactics of domestic violence controlled my family’s upbringings. I was deeply in awe. I must say that I truly respect the strength the women demonstrated while they shared their stories.  I greatly admire how they have been able to come together to create an escape for the violence and at the same time empower themselves through employment to establish sustainable livelihoods. I am very proud of their dedication, hard work and passion to address the issue of domestic violence at a grater level. 


Hearing their stories, particularly Atmadevi’s brought the chills to my body as she described the pain she bared while her husband physically and emotionally battered her. On top of that, he as well as her in-laws forced her to wear a ghungat, a face veil that kept her away from the clarity of the world around her and suppressed her from her self empowerment. Her aspirations to live a different reality only intensified. She described a desire to show her face, connect with others and even a desire to be looked at. All she craved was being noticed and treated as the human she was. I could only imagine how difficult it must have been to feel as of she was trapped in a cage without doors and abused. Additionally, it was just as traumatic for her children to witness such abuse; as I recall how miserable it was for me to witness the abuse in my household. 




Before I left the facility, there was no way I could leave that day without personally thanking Atmadevi for sharing her story and describing as she threw the veil apart once she was empowered. I had to notifying her that she had instilled a sense of hope for a better tomorrow. So I did. I told her her that I would share her story with my mother and the many women in my family who are also in domestic violent relationships.  She agreed and suggested for me to work with them to help strengthen the sense of  empowerment within them.  I told her that I personally felt empowered through a strength hat I was craving to hear. I  hugged  her and told her I appreciated her. As she continued to hear me share my experience with her, she began to cry. Her tears demonstrated an accepted connection that words cannot even describe. A human connection that we both shared. I am forever thankful to her as she made me realize the power within myself as an agent of change. 


2 comments:

  1. Your experience sounds amazing. And you were able to interact and connect with someone on a such a personal level, I wish I had been that open to allow myself to do that.You touched on a particular part that I felt as well, that with their stories, they have managed to empower many of us, women. After hearing all of their stories and it made me remember and realize how lucky we are of where we were raised and by who. Although you share that your mom is in an abusive relationship as well... she did something right. She was able to teach you how to stand up for yourself. Although not apparent and in your face, you have learned what to do and what not to do from a strong woman. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela, thank you for sharing this powerful interaction with Atmadevi. I actually missed her talk because I was speaking with the women at the Upcykal workshop. However, I am glad that you were able to capture her story and share it on this blog. There is something very powerful about sharing one's story that can really inspire change in others. Sharing such stories help others to see that change is possible and that there is hope for something better. Your deep connection to Atmadevi also serves to show that people can connect on similar issues across cultures. I am positive that her story will be of help to women you will work with upon your return to the US. Again, thank you for sharing and lets keep spreading Atmadevi's powerful story.

    ReplyDelete